January 9, 2011

NH learn to ski and ride free week


NH's learn to ski and ride free week included a beginner lesson, equiptment rental, and a beginner lift ticket. There were about 14 ski areas across the state participating in this event. We tried to book our lesson at Cannon Mountain but it was full. Our second choice was Bretton Woods and we got in.


You had to register on line and print out a registration form as well as call in with your personal information and shoe size (for rental). It was strongly suggested that you arrive an hour in advance of the lesson. When leaving, I inadvertantly picked up the wrong peice of paper (not the registration form I had printed out).

The woman at the ski school desk was not at all accomodating. Even though they had my information from the phone call, she refused to let me participate without the printed form.

A sign indicated that the cost to participate in a group lesson was $35 and a private lesson was $75. We asked if I could pay to join the group and she stated it would cost $75. We asked if I went home to retrieve the form and came back a little after the lesson started, would I be able to join the group? She said "No".

As we weighed out our options, she indicated that if I went home to get my form I could still get the equiptment rental and lift ticket (I would only lose out on the lesson). I went home to get the form.

When I returned, the same woman was at the ski school desk. She turned to a co-worker and asked "what did we decide...will will let her have the rental and lift ticket?" I stayed calm on the outside but inside I was ready to scream. I had driven for 1 1/2 hours (there, home, and back) because she already told me they would give me the rental and lift ticket if I went home to get the form.

Luckily (for all of us) her co-worker agreed that I could have the rental and lift ticket.


The ski instructor was great. By the time I got my rental equiptment and found the beginner slope 1/2 hour of the 1 1/2 hour lesson had been completed, he let me join the group anyway.

 
I hadn't been skiing in about 30 years and alot has changed with skis, boots, and bindings.

Very quickly the tension from the unpleasant lady at the ski school desk was forgotten. We were all enjoying ourselves and the lesson.


The weather was nice- about 27 degrees in the afternoon and no wind. The lodge was comfy too and I enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate when our day was over.

All in all it was a great day. The instructor was wonderful and the ski area itself was great!