January 20, 2011

Full Wolf Moon – January


I tried to go out and see the moon last night but it was too cloudy.
Apparently, the moon is in Leo, which is known for drama.
I attempted to search for some information about the Wolf Moon and found that folklore about the Wolf Moon was sparse. 

Wikipedia  explained that the wolves were very hungry at this bleak point of the winter, and that they gathered on the outskirts of Native American communities howling at the full moon.

Full Moon names date back to Native Americans of what are now the northern and eastern United States. There was some variation in the Moon names, but in general, the same ones were current throughout the Algonquin tribes from New England to Lake Superior.

European settlers followed this custom and created some of their own names.
Sometimes the full moon in January was referred to as the Old Moon or the Moon after Yule.

4 comments:

small farm girl said...

Funny that they call it the Wolf Moon. We had coyotes up close to the house that night.

Ruta said...

Oooh, I like listening to them but wouldn't have wanted them too close.

forever growing said...

Love your blog, Wolf Moon! We have been having coyotes here too. See their prints coming across the river. I love them but not this close. Makes me nervous to send the dog out to pee.

Ruta said...

I know what you mean. I have smaller dogs because I lived in the city...sometimes I worry my littlest one will end up as a snack!