Mont Vernon was originally a part of the town of Amherst, New Hampshire.
There continues to be debate about the naming of Mont Vernon. Some say that the original intent was to name the town after "Mount Venon" and that an early typographical error resulted in its current name. This theory is entirely possible, as the first post office was called the MOUNT Vernon post office.
About two miles from the village of Mont Vernon, in the westerly edge of town is "Purgatory," a natural curiosity--a deep ravine more than half a mile in length, through which Black Brook makes its way. At the "Upper Falls," the brook plunges perpendicularly more than fifty feet into a deep chasm or pit. The stream makes several further leaps, known as "Lower Falls."
An annual "Purgatory Picnic" was held in August and in August of 1885, three hundred persons attended.
...to see more barns from all over, visit http://bluffareadaily.blogspot.com/