May 21, 2011

Today in the Garden...

It doesn't know whether to rain or shine today.
I started off by heading to Meadowstone Farm to see if they had some fresh greens...



It will be a little while before I eat my own spinach, kale, and lettuce...


I decided to introduce Lucy to the chicks...


At first they were wary of each other...


Then Ruby found a worm and Lucy tried to steal it away...


I hadn't even noticed that the bleeding hearts were in bloom...


I started weeding the flower beds and then I surprised our garden snake...and it surprised me! No picture...it slithered away so quickly, but it sure got much bigger this year!



The air is perfumed by the scent of lilacs...


...soon they will be in full bloom.

The Lily of the Valley are just opening up...another one of my favorite scents...


A carpet of violets is growing along the edge of the driveway, spilling out of the flower beds...


...and the hosta is unfurling..


...and that's how my garden grows.

3 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

violets, lily of the valley, lilacs, bleeding hearts. just made me SO jealous... :) love those little chickies! not quite so little anymore!

Cindy Brooks said...

Your photographs are wonderful Ruth!

Anonymous said...

Your flower photos are beautiful.

The pigs and chickens seem to be have a great time in the mud puddle :-)