August 16, 2011

The Eat Local Challenge...

I got extremely busy at the end of last week and did not add a follow up post during the Eat Local Challenge Week, as I had intended to. It was a fun challenge and I stopped at more local farmstands than I might have otherwise.


Although I continue to use items outside of the 100 mile range, I am really inspired to incorporate even more local foods than I had been previously.


We just got a couple of days of much needed rain and the garden looks great.


Thank you to "the girls" for insect control, compost, and eggs.


I made potato salad from our garden potatoes this week.



Garden cucumbers with (local) sour cream and fresh dill.



Homemade salsa...


Awesome guacamole...


...and I just picked up some wild blackberry jelly from a local farm stand. I can't wait to try it on the homemade bread that my friend Erica made this morning!

4 comments:

SouthCoast Guy said...

I completely agree with your description "Awesome guacamole"...it looks delicious!

Dar said...

I do as you do and get most of my garden produce from my own back yard. That way I know exactly what has fertilized and fed what's been put on the table...your guac looks awesome, as does the salsa and cuc salad. My potato blossoms got eaten by the turkeys, so I'm not sure what lays under the ground just yet...hopeful.
Great entry.........I am jealous however! Your garden looks fantastic!
BlessYourHeart

Anonymous said...

Looks like Nice recipes! Now i am sure those eggs in above post are from these Hens. Liked u r garden Ruta.

Ruta said...

Yes they are eggs from my hens. The garden did well this year and I will be making more guacamole ...I just love it!!