March 16, 2011

Happy St Patrick's Day!

A little over a year ago, my Uncle Jim passed away in Boston at 89 years of age. He was a very proud Irishman, a gentle giant, and I remember him most for his broad smile and the way he loved to sing his songs about Ireland.


In his younger days, he was a Golden Gloves Champion in the heavy weight division and played semi-pro football. During World War II he served in the US Navy. He became a fireman for the city of Lowell, MA and retired from the department as a Captain after 39 years of service.

I am Lithuanian (100%) and he married into our family. I really loved listening to him sing his Irish songs and I thought St Patrick's Day was a special holiday that I always associated with my Uncle Jim!


I can't send him  a card this year...but will hold him in my thoughts throughout the day!

No comments: